NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Bluebird Bio (BLUE) surged to a 52-week high of $41.77 on Monday after the company reported positive results on Saturday from its gene therapy for the blood disorder beta-thalassemia.
The company announced that two patients with the blood disorder were able to cease blood transfusions after one treatment with BlueBird's experimental gene therapy called LentiGlobin, which replaces the defective gene with a fully functional one.
The stock was up 34.73% to $35.15 at 11:56 a.m. More than 4.2 million shares had changed hands, compared to the average volume of 239,356.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV