NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- World Cup action is set to subdue trading in the silver market.
Silver has risen 2.6% year to date and 1.2% since May, but UBS analysts suggested the coming month of World Cup matches, which started June 12 and ends July 13, combined with a summer seasonal slowdown will reduce the number of participants in the market, generating a sideways move for the precious metal.
"In reality, the link may not be as far-fetched as one might initially think: The focus on the football matches and the overall excitement surrounding these games could act as an added incentive for market participants (and football enthusiasts, more generally) to go for holidays around this time," UBS analysts Joni Teves and Edel Tully wrote Monday in a note to clients.Teves and Tully said the reduction in traders could be more concentrated as people choose to take their vacations during the month of World Cup games instead of spreading them throughout the summer months during non-World Cup years. Silver prices for July delivery on Monday were dipping a penny to $19.65 an ounce, while the U.S. dollar index was sliding 0.17% to $80.47. Gold for August delivery at the COMEX division of the New York Mercantile Exchange was adding $1.10 to $1,275.20 an ounce. The gold price traded as high as $1,285.10 and as low as $1,272.50 an ounce. Silver trade volume dipped during the 2006 and 2010 World Cups, according to UBS. While concerns about a lack of liquidity during this period could lead to more volatile price swings, Teves and Tully said that it's also likely that the quiet market will need significant headlines to get silver prices moving in the first place. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV