NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of satellite broadcaster DISH Network (DISH) are climbing after JPMorgan upgraded the stock, saying that the company has many potential catalysts and its the shares have an attractive risk/reward ratio.
WHAT'S NEW: Over the next 18-24 months, DISH's stock could be boosted by a number of events, including the company's acquisition of all or part of T-Mobile (TMUS), JPMorgan analyst Philip Cusick wrote in a note to investors earlier today. Such a deal could accelerate the growth of both companies, the analyst contended. Additionally, DISH could rise as a result of partnerships it could form with carriers in order to utilize some of its spectrum, the analyst contended. Alternatively, DISH could conclude to sell or lease other parts of its spectrum, added the analyst. Cusick summarized that DISH has many potential positive catalysts and its shares are unlikely to decline significantly, upgrading the stock to Overweight with a $72 price target.
WHAT'S NOTABLE: AT&T (T) recently agreed to buy DISH's satellite broadcasting peer DirecTV (DTV). However, Cusick does not believe that DISH is currently looking to sell itself. Various media reports have claimed that Sprint (S) is in talks about a potential merger with T-Mobile. Reuters said in early June that Sprint agreed to purchase T-Mobile for approximately $40 per share. CNBC's David Faber reported last week, citing sources, that Sprint and T-Mobile have agreed on a $2B break-up fee for their potential tie-up transaction.
PRICE ACTION: In early trading, DISH rose 1.3% to $59.75.
Reporting by Larry Ramer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV