BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Stocks spent most of last week rolling over, with the big S&P 500 index correcting a healthy 0.68% as investors took gains from a market that hasn't been shy about hitting new highs. With the S&P sitting at the top of its recent range at the start of last week, a correction here isn't just normal -- it's expected.
We're likely to see that retracement continue into this week. Put simply, the broad market could give back approximately 4.5% from here without so much as threatening the primary uptrend in stocks that's been in force for the last 19 months.So what's the best way to cope with a correction in the broad market? Buy the Rocket Stocks. For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts' expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. In the last 253 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 77.5%. >>5 Toxic Stocks You Should Sell This Summer Without further ado, here's a look at this week's Rocket Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV