NEW YORK (TheStreet) - - Summer officially starts next weekend but some big name summer blockbusters were released over the weekend, bringing in large numbers for the likes of 21st Century Fox (FOXA), Sony (SNE), and Disney (DIS).
How to Train Your Dragon 2 from Fox was the biggest worldwide winner this weekend with $50,000,000 domestic ticket sales and $76,500,000 worldwide according to data provided by Rentrak (RENT) compared to the $44,000,000 on opening weekend for the first How to Train Your Dragon. Although 60,000,000 tickets sales makes Sony's 22 Jump Street the biggest domestic winner, the comedy led by Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill fell short of How to Train Your Dragon 2 in worldwide sales, pulling in $66,900,000 internationally.
21 Jump Street, released last year, brought in $36,302,612 it's opening weekend according to IMDB. Disney's Maleficent came in third for the weekend's box office at $56,208,000 international sales held up by the $37,200,000 foreign sales.
The much-loved Disney movie, Frozen, released in November had the highest cumulative sales for movies currently playing in theaters at a whopping $1,252,681,000. Coming in second was Fox's X-Men: Days of Future Past at $663,540,161.
The new installation to the Transformers series, Transformers: Age of Extinction, will release on June 27th and based on its predecessors, the movie could bring in strong revenues for Viacom (VIA) owned Paramount. This will be the fourth of Michel Bay's Transformers movies. Each new Michel Bay Transformers movie has brought in more than its predecessor from $319,246,193 with the release of Transformers, to $402,111,870 from his most recent, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen according to IMDB.-- Written by Whalen MacHale in New York. Follow @WMacHale
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV