The buyer is a regular on the dealmaking front. In January it bought Tyrx Inc., a Monmouth Junciton, N.J. maker of antibiotic-coated meshes for use in transplants, for $160 million plus milestones. It also bought Cardiocom LLC, of Chanhassen, Minn., for $200 million in August to expand its electronic patient monitoring business.
In a statement Covidien Chairman, President and CEO Jose E. Almeida said the deal "provides our shareholders with immediate value and the opportunity to participate in the significant upside potential of the combined organization."
Bank of America Merrill Lynch is providing financing to Medtronic for the acquisition.
Medtronic turned to Perella Weinberg Partners LP's Philippe McAuliffe, Peter Weinberg, Riccardo Benedetti and Chris O'Connor for financial advice. A Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP team including Victor Lewkow, Matthew Salerno, Yaron Reich, Jason Factor, Laurent Alpert, Meme Peponis, Arthur Kohn, George Cary, Enrique Gonzalez-Diaz and Caroline Hayday and A & L Goodbody's Cian McCourt provided counsel.Covidien's financial adviser is Goldman, Sachs & Co.'s Jason Silvers and its legal advisers are a Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz team includin gAdam Emmerich, Ben Roth and Victor Goldfeld and Arthur Cox's Brian O'Gorman. David Marcus contributed to this report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV