Competition designed to promote and encourage fresh Canadian talent
TORONTO, June 16, 2014 /CNW/ - Fifteen of Canada's finest emerging visual artists were announced today as finalists in the 2014 RBC Canadian Painting Competition. As part of RBC's ongoing support and dedication to emerging artists across several disciplines, this competition helps discover painters in the early stages of their career and provides them with the foundation and necessary tools to succeed.
"Each year, we are impressed by the calibre of submissions the RBC Canadian Painting Competition receives," said Robin Anthony, curator, RBC. "The jury is buzzing about this group of artists, and we are excited to announce the list of finalists to the public and are hoping they benefit from the profile this competition will bring to their work."
The jurors are some of Canada's most respected artists, gallery directors, curators and art critics. They have the task of narrowing all applicants down to 15 finalists, and also act as informal mentors, helping to develop the careers and practice of the painters.This year, RBC will award a total of $55,000 in prize money. The winner will receive a cash prize of $25,000, while two honourable mentions will each receive $15,000. The winners' painting will also become part of RBC's corporate art collection, one of the most valuable corporate collections in Canada, consisting of more than 4,000 pieces of art that has been collected for over a century. "This competition had a definite impact on my career as a painter," said Colleen Heslin, winner of the 2013 RBC Canadian Painting Competition. "Not only did the prize money afford me time to develop my practice, I also made invaluable professional connections." Heslin's most recent exhibition is being held at Monte Clark Gallery in Vancouver and runs until July 7, 2014. The 2014 RBC Canadian Painting Competition finalists are:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV