Celgene Corporation (NASDAQ:CELG) and Acceleron Pharma Inc. (NASDAQ:XLRN) today announced interim data from two studies of candidates from the companies’ joint development program in beta-thalassemia. The data presented at the 19 th European Hematology Association (EHA) annual congress show activity for two programs, sotatercept and ACE-536, in patients with both transfusion dependent and non-transfusion dependent beta-thalassemia. There is currently no drug approved to treat beta-thalassemia. Both sotatercept and ACE-536 have been granted orphan drug designation for beta-thalassemia by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
In the first study, which was highlighted as part of the EHA press briefing on June 13, sotatercept, a novel activin type IIA receptor fusion protein, was evaluated in transfusion-dependent (TD) and non-transfusion-dependent (NTD) beta-thalassemia patients.
A total of 32 patients were treated in this dose-finding study in which sotatercept was administered subcutaneously once every 3 weeks at doses of 0.1 (n=8), 0.3 (n=9), 0.5 (n=8), or 0.75 (n=7) mg/kg. Of these patients, 22 were non-transfusion dependent and 10 were transfusion dependent.The mean baseline hemoglobin level for the NTD patients was 8.7 g/dL (range 6.1-10.7), 8.3 g/dL (range 6.0-9.5), 8.2 g/dL (range 6.4-9.3) and 8.8 g/dL (range 7.9-9.6) in the 0.1, 0.3, 0.5 and 0.75 mg/kg groups, respectively. Among these patients, there was a dose-dependent increase in hemoglobin.
- The proportion of patients achieving a maximum hemoglobin increase of ≥ 1.0 g/dL above baseline was 0%, 67%, 83% and 100% in the 0.1, 0.3, 0.5, and 0.75 mg/kg dose groups, respectively.
- The proportion of patients achieving a maximum hemoglobin increase of ≥ 2.0 g/dL above baseline was 0%, 0%, 33% and 50% in the 0.1, 0.3, 0.5 and 0.75 mg/kg dose groups, respectively.
- The proportion of patients achieving ≥ 20% reduction in transfusion burden was 0%, 33%, 50% and 67% in the 0.1, 0.3, 0.5, and 0.75 mg/kg dose groups, respectively.
- The proportion of patients achieving ≥ 50% reduction in transfusion burden was 0%, 0%, 0% and 33% in the 0.1, 0.3, 0.5, and 0.75 mg/kg dose groups, respectively.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV