NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I know this is about to sound obnoxiously ridiculous, but maybe President Barack Obama is a good stock picker. Maybe the president actually did some research about the stock market before jumping onto the stage, yelling, "Thank you, America!"
But really, Obama is a pretty smart guy. He graduated from Harvard Law School; he has a really great knack for writing awesome speeches. But you know who else came from Harvard? Jeremy Lin, the best basketball player in the NBA (Linsanity!).
Anyway, back to Obama. He's really detail oriented, which is why he "owned" the Republican candidates during both presidential debates.
He's smart enough to become the president of the United States. So let's see what he has to say about the stock market since 2009.From Obama's 2009 address to Congress:
But while our economy may be weakened and our confidence shaken, though we are living through difficult and uncertain times, tonight I want every American to know this: We will rebuild, we will recover, and the United States of America will emerge stronger than before.Not bad Mr. Obama, oh wait, I mean President Obama. Look at how well the stock market did from February 2009 to December 2009. So maybe he's got some street cred. Let's hear some more. Obama's 2009 address to Congress said:
To support that innovation, we will invest $15 billion a year to develop technologies like wind power and solar power, advanced biofuels, clean coal, and more efficient cars and trucks built right here in America.Let's look at the two-year stock performance of Tesla Motors (TSLA), First Solar (FSLR), Solar City (SCTY) and General Electric (GE). After all, Tesla Motors makes the electric car. First Solar makes solar panels and Solar City installs the panels. General Electric makes the wind turbines.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV