3 Chemicals Stocks Nudging The Industry Higher
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.All three major indices traded up today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI) trading up 22 points (0.1%) at 16,756 as of Friday, June 13, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 1,626 issues advancing vs. 1,329 declining with 172 unchanged.The Chemicals industry as a whole closed the day up 0.1% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.2%. Top gainers within the Chemicals industry included Flexible Solutions International (FSI), up 6.5%, Metabolix (MBLX), up 2.2%, Lightbridge (LTBR), up 3.3%, Amyris (AMRS), up 2.6% and Marrone Bio Innovations (MBII), up 2.7%.TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today:Amyris (AMRS) is one of the companies that pushed the Chemicals industry higher today. Amyris was up $0.09 (2.6%) to $3.48 on light volume. Throughout the day, 119,954 shares of Amyris exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 505,200 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $3.39-$3.50 after having opened the day at $3.40 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $3.39. Amyris, Inc., a renewable products company, provides various alternatives to a range of petroleum-sourced products for the specialty chemical and transportation fuel markets worldwide. Amyris has a market cap of $265.8 million and is part of the basic materials sector. Shares are down 35.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. Currently there are no analysts who rate Amyris a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreet Ratings rates Amyris as a sell. The area that we feel has been the company's primary weakness has been its declining revenues.Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on AMRS go as follows:
- AMRS, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 3.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 23.2%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for AMYRIS INC is rather high; currently it is at 59.68%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 271.22% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 59.02% to -$9.95 million when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 17.43%.
- The stock has risen over the past year and, it has performed in line with the S&P 500 thus far. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, we do not believe this stock offers ample reward opportunity to compensate for the risks, despite the fact that it rose over the past year.
- AMYRIS INC has improved earnings per share by 22.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, AMYRIS INC continued to lose money by earning -$3.10 versus -$3.75 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.80 versus -$3.10).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV