Best Of The Buy-Rated Dividend Stocks: Top 3 Companies: SIR, NHI, VNR
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy." Select Income REIT (NYSE: SIR) shares currently have a dividend yield of 6.80%. Select Income REIT is a real estate investment trust managed by Reit Management & Research LLC. The firm invests in the real estate markets of United States with a focus on Hawaii. The fund seeks to invest in office and industrial properties. Select Income REIT is domiciled in United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 14.11. The average volume for Select Income REIT has been 435,900 shares per day over the past 30 days. Select Income REIT has a market cap of $1.4 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. TheStreet Ratings rates Select Income REIT as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels, good cash flow from operations, expanding profit margins and increase in net income. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 10.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 20.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $31.30 million or 48.11% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 29.99%.
- The gross profit margin for SELECT INCOME REIT is rather high; currently it is at 59.35%. Regardless of SIR's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, SIR's net profit margin of 47.34% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 10.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $22.63 million to $25.06 million.
- You can view the full Select Income REIT Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.