NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Magazine publisher Time Inc. (TIME)could be acquired by another magazine publisher, Meredith (MDP), late next year, Citigroup wrote in a note to investors earlier today. Citigroup initiated coverage of Time, which was spun off earlier this month by Time Warner (TWX), with a $28 price target and Buy rating.
WHAT'S NEW: Meredith could buy Time in the fourth quarter of 2015, Citi analyst Jason Bazinet predicted. The deal is not likely to occur before then because of the tax-free nature of the Tiime spin-off, the analyst believes. Time shareholders would probably receive $28 per share in a takeover and would have 40%-48% of Meredith's equity following the deal, Bazinet estimated. The combined company could obtain $175M in annual cost savings from the deal and Meredith's stock would likely rise in the wake of the acquisition, the analyst believes.
PRICE ACTION: In early trading, Time fell about 1% to $22.28 while Meredith was also down 1% to $43.80.
Reporting by Larry Ramer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV