For Priceline, Opentable provides "a natural extension into restaurant marketing services and a wonderful and highly valued booking experience for our global customers," said Darren Huston, the president and CEO of Priceline, in a press statement.
Priceline helps find the best prices when booking planes, hotels, cruises, cars, and vacation packages. Priceline acquired Kayak, another travel booking website, in 2012. San Francisco-based Opentable company allows users to make restaurant reservations online.
Capital Group Companies owns 13.98% of Opentable shares, T. Rowe Price owns 9.11%, while investment firm BlackRock (BLK) hold an 8.9% stake.
Reaction to news of the acquisition has been positive."We think Opentable has somewhat under-invested in traffic acquisition and conversions, and can clearly benefit from Priceline's expertise, particularly in search marketing efforts overseas," wrote RBC Capital Markets in a report led by Rohit Kulkarni. "Opentable is predominantly used by locals but with help from Priceline, Opentable could tap into the non-local market as part of the end-to-end app." Nonetheless, Opentable could run into expansion problems abroad because of previously established competition. Domestically "Opentable has a "monopolistic" market share, particularly in N.America, but we have come across a series of private / local players in Europe (e.g. La Fourcette- acquired by Tripadvisor and Bookatable/Live Bookings) and Japan (Tabelog - operated by Kakaku.com)," wrote Kulkarni. The deal is expected to close in the third quarter of 2014. Shares of Opentable were surging 47% to $103.73 while Priceline was falling 2.5% to $1,195.84.
**Why Priceline's $2.6 Billion Buy of OpenTable May Be a Bargain --Written by Whalen MacHale in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV