By David Russell of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- C.H. Robinson Worldwide (CHRW) has been rallying back from long-term lows, and the bulls keep piling in.
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected heavy volume in the July 62.50 calls, with large blocks trading for 60 cents to 65 cents. Volume surpassed 9,000 contracts, more than triple the previous open interest, which indicates that new positions were initiated. More than 2,400 August 65 calls were also bought for 70 cents.Long calls lock in the price where investors can buy a stock, letting them cheaply position for a rally with limited risk. The contracts can also generate significant leverage if shares move in the right direction, but they can quickly lose value if the stock drops. C.H. Robinson's shares slipped 0.15% Thursday to close at $61.82. The freight and logistics company traded all the way down to $50 in March, its lowest price since mid-2010, but has been rallying sharply since then along with other transportation stocks. Its last earnings report also beat expectations as management raised prices on a per-mile basis. Total option volume in the name was 12 times greater than average in the session, with calls outnumbering puts by more than 174 to 1. Russell has no positions in CHRW.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV