3 Stocks Pushing The Health Care Sector Lower
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.The Health Care sector as a whole closed the day down 0.2% versus the S&P 500, which was down 0.9%. Laggards within the Health Care sector included USMD Holdings (USMD), down 2.8%, American Caresource Holdings (ANCI), down 5.2%, ProPhase Labs (PRPH), down 1.6%, Oragenics (OGEN), down 2.8% and NephroGenex (NRX), down 7.2%.TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the sector lower today:Edwards Lifesciences (EW) is one of the companies that pushed the Health Care sector lower today. Edwards Lifesciences was down $2.58 (3.1%) to $79.94 on average volume. Throughout the day, 1,361,240 shares of Edwards Lifesciences exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 1,236,500 shares. The stock ranged in price between $79.90-$82.49 after having opened the day at $82.39 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $82.51. Edwards Lifesciences Corporation provides products and technologies to treat structural heart disease and critically ill patients worldwide. Edwards Lifesciences has a market cap of $8.5 billion and is part of the health services industry. Shares are up 25.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. Currently there are 9 analysts who rate Edwards Lifesciences a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreet Ratings rates Edwards Lifesciences as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, good cash flow from operations, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins and solid stock price performance. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on EW go as follows:
- EW's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 59.10% to $138.90 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, EDWARDS LIFESCIENCES CORP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 6.96%.
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.54, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio shows mixed results, the company's quick ratio of 3.19 is very high and demonstrates very strong liquidity.
- The gross profit margin for EDWARDS LIFESCIENCES CORP is currently very high, coming in at 75.17%. Regardless of EW's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, EW's net profit margin of 11.54% compares favorably to the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Health Care Equipment & Supplies industry and the overall market, EDWARDS LIFESCIENCES CORP's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV