WHAT'S NEW: In March, Anadarko estimated that its net asset value was over $140 per share, JPMorgan analyst Joseph Allman stated in a note to investors earlier today. Consequently, the company is likely to demand a purchase price significantly above that level in any takeover deal, Allman wrote. However, since the company's stock closed at only $108 on Wednesday, a potential buyer would have difficulty justifying a purchase price significantly above $140 per share, the analyst contended. Moreover, few exploration and production companies have been acquired in recent years, added Allman, who has an Overweight rating on Anadarko's stock.
PRICE ACTION: In early trading, Anadarko was up 0.5% to $108.90. Anadarko shares had advanced more than 4% yesterday.
Reporting by Larry Ramer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV