NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Pinnacle Foods Inc. (PF) is considering options to hold Hillshire Brands (HSH) to its agreement or secure more money in exchange for agreeing to terminate its deal, sources told the Wall Street Journal.
Pinnacle's $4.3 billion sale to Hillshire, announced in May, is unlikely to proceed after Tyson Foods (TSN) agreed to buy Hillshire for $7.7 billion.
The deal gave Hillshire maneuverability in the event of a better deal proposal for itself, and included a $163 million breakup fee for Pinnacle were the agreement to be terminated, the Journal noted.
Now, any arguments about its rights under its agreement with Hillshire could ultimately be pursued as leverage in a settlement, the Journal said.Tyson's deal for Hillshire is contingent on the Pinnacle deal being terminated. Hillshire privately notified Pinnacle earlier this week that it doesn't plan to recommend the Pinnacle acquisition to its shareholders, sources told the Journal. For now, according to Hillshire, the deal with Tyson has not been offically approved by its board.
- PF's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.1%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- PINNACLE FOODS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, PINNACLE FOODS INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.77 versus $0.47 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.75 versus $0.77).
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 59.09% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 34.57% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Setting our sights on the months ahead, however, we feel that the stock's sharp appreciation over the last year has driven it to a price level which is now relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. The implication is that its reduced upside potential is not good enough to warrant further investment at this time.
- Currently the debt-to-equity ratio of 1.55 is quite high overall and when compared to the industry average, suggesting that the current management of debt levels should be re-evaluated. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio is weak, PF's quick ratio is somewhat strong at 1.01, demonstrating the ability to handle short-term liquidity needs.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Food Products industry and the overall market, PINNACLE FOODS INC's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: PF Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.