The end of the school year brings outdoor celebrations for recent graduates, but it also can be dangerous and lead to power outages if Mylar balloons from those festivities come into contact with power lines.
When a Mylar balloon contacts a power line or a piece of electric equipment, its metallic material can cause a surge of electricity that can lead to power outages or potentially dangerous situations.
PECO customers should keep the following safety tips in mind.
- Mylar, other types of balloons and all objects should be kept away from overhead power lines and other utility equipment. These objects can become entangled in lines and cause an outage.
- Keep balloons tethered and attached to weights at all times.
- Properly dispose of Mylar balloons by puncturing the balloon to release helium that otherwise could cause the balloon to float away.
- NEVER touch a power line. Do not attempt to retrieve a balloon, toy or other type of debris that is entangled in an overhead power line. For assistance, call PECO to report the problem at 1-800-494-4000 so our crews can remove the item safely.
- Always assume power lines are energized and keep yourself, your belongings and anything you are carrying at least 10 feet away from power lines.
PECO customers can learn more about power line safety by visiting peco.com/safety.Based in Philadelphia, PECO is an electric and natural gas utility subsidiary of Exelon Corporation (NYSE: EXC). PECO serves 1.6 million electric and more than 500,000 natural gas customers in southeastern Pennsylvania and employs about 2,400 people in the region. PECO delivered 85.7 billion cubic feet of natural gas and 37.8 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity in 2013. Founded in 1881, PECO is one of the Greater Philadelphia Region's most active corporate citizens, providing leadership, volunteer and financial support to numerous arts and culture, education, environmental, economic development and community programs and organizations. For more information visit PECO.com , and connect with the company on Facebook and Twitter . If you are a member of the media and would like to receive PECO news releases via email, please send your email address to PECO.Communication@exeloncorp.com .
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts