SAN DIEGO, June 11, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Naval Medical Center San Diego (NMCSD) has added the Discovery IGS 730*, a powerful imaging system that helps doctors use minimally invasive techniques to treat heart and blood vessel problems. A ribbon cutting ceremony to mark the first installation of the Discovery 730 Hybrid OR in California at the Naval Medical Center San Diego takes place today, Wednesday, June 11 at 9 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time.
The new room will provide a single suite where doctors can perform both traditional open surgeries and minimally invasive procedures. The suite will utilize the Discovery IGS 730 image guidance system from GE Healthcare. The Discovery IGS 730 has its high-quality digital imaging system mounted on mobile gantry that moves along predefined pathways, guided by laser. By touching a few buttons, a doctor can move it to the table to take pictures of the patient's anatomy, and then move it out of the way so allowing room to position physicians, nurses, technologists, anesthesiologists and other personnel optimally for surgery, with unobstructed access to the patient.
"Minimally invasive heart and vascular procedures are growing with the benefits of reducing patient risk and shortening hospital stays," said Dr. Keshav R. Nayak, Director, Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, Naval Medical Center San Diego. "These procedures require powerful imaging to help the doctor guide the treatment device to exactly the right location."
This is important because some complex treatments require both minimally invasive methods and open surgery. With the Discovery IGS 730, both can be performed in the same room – there is no need to transfer the patient between procedures.The Discovery IGS 730 has its high-quality digital imaging system mounted on mobile gantry that moves along predefined pathways, guided by lasers. By touching a button, a doctor can move it to the table to take pictures of the patient's anatomy, and then move it out of the way so that doctors can perform surgery without obstruction. Specific procedures for which this technology is well suited include:
- Treating defective valves that keep the heart from pumping blood efficiently
- Treating aneurysms – weakened areas in major arteries that if not treated can burst and in some cases can cause death.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV