NEW YORK, June 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- S&P Capital IQ, a leading provider of multi-asset class research data and insights, today released its review of 2014 Q1 13F filings by pure play hedge funds that indicate IT and Telecoms as the sector's major buys and consumer staples as the major sell off. Each quarter, S&P Capital IQ analyzes the latest quarterly 13F filings to determine the largest hedge funds based on reported equity assets. Further analysis isolates the universe to what S&P Capital IQ believes are firms whose 13F holdings primarily represent pure hedge fund activity. A copy of S&P Capital IQ's Q1 Hedge Fund Tracker Report can be found here.
"Looking at recent filings as well as the S&P Capital IQ's Holding Aggregator and Investor Profile Reports, aggregate holdings of the top 10 pure play hedge funds shows IT as the biggest buy with $4.8B and eBay within that sector accounting for a staggering $2.2B," said Pavle Sabic, Financial Risk Manager, S&P Capital IQ. "It's also interesting to note that 6 out of the 10 hedge funds made brand new positions in healthcare company Endo International Plc. On the other end of the spectrum, we found a negative sentiment toward social media stocks. In fact, Facebook was the largest overall decreased position. Four of the hedge funds contributed to nearly $1B in the selling of that stock."
Summary of S&P Capital IQ's findings:
- The single largest buy during the quarter, with over $2.2B in new money, is eBay, with 6 hedge funds holding it.
- Interestingly, Apple Inc. was not only the 2 nd highest buy with $1.96B, but also the 2 nd largest sell off with $871 million.
- 3 rd largest buy was Verizon Communications Inc. with $1.2B bought, also with 6 hedge funds holding the stock.
- Facebook Inc. was the top sell with $920 million of selling; and Priceline Group Inc. was the 3rd largest sell off at nearly $800 million sold.
- In aggregate, IT was the sector that the hedge funds were buying most with $4.8B in buying.
- In aggregate, Consumer Staples was the sector which had the biggest sell off with $549 million sold.
S&P Capital IQ performs this research quarterly in order to understand what the most prominent hedge funds are buying, holding and selling. "The firm develops the analysis through an examination of both industry filings as well as excel based holding models, allowing our clients to quickly spot global trends in asset category and understand what some of the largest investors are targeting," said Tony Elyahou, Senior Director, S&P Capital IQ.ABOUT S&P CAPITAL IQ S&P Capital IQ, a part of McGraw Hill Financial (NYSE:MHFI), is a leading provider of multi-asset class and real time data, research and analytics to institutional investors, investment and commercial banks, investment advisors and wealth managers, corporations and universities around the world. S&P Capital IQ provides a broad suite of capabilities designed to help track performance, generate alpha, and identify new trading and investment ideas, and perform risk analysis and mitigation strategies. Through leading desktop solutions such as the S&P Capital IQ, Global Credit Portal and MarketScope Advisor desktops; enterprise solutions such as S&P Capital IQ Valuations; and research offerings, including Leveraged Commentary & Data, Global Markets Intelligence, and company and funds research, S&P Capital IQ sharpens financial intelligence into the wisdom today's investors need. For more information, visit www.spcapitaliq.com. SOURCE S&P Capital IQ
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts