Update (4:20 p.m.): Updated with Tuesday market close information.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Achillion Pharmaceuticals (ACHN) surged for a second consecutive day on Tuesday after the FDA removed its clinical hold on sovaprevir, one of Achillion's four experimental hepatitis C treatments.
The FDA had placed the hold in June because of abnormal liver results in patients. Achillion can now begin trials with a once-daily maximum dose of 200 mg of sovaprevir in hepatitis C patients and other healthy volunteers.
The company also announced it had begun initial dosing with ACH-3422, another of its experimental hepatitis C treatments.Must Read: Achillion Hep C Drug Update is Well Timed STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Achillion surged Monday amid news that Merck (MRK) would purchase biotechnology company Idenix Pharmaceuticals (IDIX) for $3.85 billion as it tries to strengthen its position in the increasingly competitive hepatitis C sector. Achillion could be the next acquisition target for larger companies. CNBC reported Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) and Abbvie (ABBV) were both interested in buying Idenix but Merck secured the purchase. Those companies, among others, could now turn their focus to Achillion, which has a pipeline of hepatitis C drugs. The stock closed up 83.29%, or $3.54, to $7.79. More than 69.6 million shares changed hands, which dwarfed the average volume of 2,128,800. For more on this story, read TheStreet's Adam Feuerstein's article here. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV