DALLAS, June 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Easing the burden of supporting multiple regions with one device, Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announced a new power line communication (PLC) modem platform that supports the G3, PRIME and IEEE-1901.2 standards across both CENELEC and ARIB frequency bands. The new optimized TMDSPLCKITV4 kits provide developers with a smaller low-cost design to evaluate any narrowband orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing (OFDM) PLC technology standard for use in a variety of industrial systems such as smart grid advanced metering infrastructure (AMI), solar energy installations, and building and factory automation systems.
TI's complete PLC solution includes all of the hardware, firmware and development tools needed to get started quickly. Developers can now use the TMDSPLCKITV4 platform to create a single PLC project with support for different regions. In addition to supporting G3, PRIME and IEEE 1901.2 PLC standards, the new modem kit will also work with TI's proprietary PLC-Lite™ software. PLC-Lite is a lower data rate PLC implementation (up to 21kbps) using OFDM modulation that supports point-to-point or point-to-multipoint communications, making it highly attractive in solar energy applications.
Features and benefits of TI's flexible PLC modem solutions:
- Based on TI's proprietary system-on-module (SOM) hardware design that incorporates all of the necessary PLC modem circuitry, along with a PLC docking station that includes the circuitry required to couple the modem to the AC mains.
- Small form factor PLC modules enable rapid prototyping of PLC networks; available for purchase separately so developers can customize PLC systems to meet the needs of smart grid customers.
- The TMDSPLCKITV4-CEN kit supports CENELEC A (35 kHz to 91 kHz) or CENELEC B (98 kHz to 122 kHz) frequency bands in Europe using TI's C2000™ F28PLC83 microcontroller (MCU) and AFE031 PLC analog front end.
- The TMDSPLCKITV4-ARIB kit supports the ARIB frequency band (154 kHz to 403 kHz) in Japan using TI's C2000 F28M35H52 MCU and AFE032 PLC analog front end.
Pricing and availability:Developers interested in evaluating TI's PLC solutions can purchase the new TMDSPLCKITV4 kit for ARIB and CENELEC bands for USD $499 from TI's eStore or authorized distributors. The PLC SoM for CENELEC is also available for purchase from TI's eStore or authorized distributors for USD $79. Getting started with TI's smart grid and PLC solutions:
- Watch TI's smart grid videos.
- TI's smart grid solutions.
- Discover TI's power line communication solutions.
- Learn about TI's smart metering solutions.
- Find out more about TI's smart grid infrastructure solutions.
- Smart grid TI E2E™ community.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV