NORTHBROOK, Ill., June 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- If it feels like every time you turn on a weather report, there's a tornado, hurricane, wildfire or severe storm happening. If you think the alarm from your weather radio sounds off a lot more frequently than before, you are not alone. A majority of Americans feel the same way.
The Federal Emergency Management Administration made 95 major disaster and fire declarations last year. In 2012, FEMA declared 112 major disasters and fires, including Sandy, Hurricane Isaac and the High Park and Waldo Canyon wildfires. This is nearly double the number of disaster declarations made only two decades ago.
Despite the frequency of severe weather, a new survey released by Allstate shows people may not be as prepared as they should be for the next big storm. Ninety-two percent of Americans surveyed have lived through a disaster. Seven percent of the people polled say they or someone in their family was injured when a disaster impacted their community. The survey findings also revealed ...
- More than 90 percent of Americans have not practiced an evacuation plan or a way to escape if a major storm is approaching.
- Sixty-four percent of Americans have not created an inventory list of the belongings in their home.
- Nearly a third of Americans (30 percent) would take their chances and ignore evacuation orders in the face of an imminent natural disaster.
"No one should risk putting themselves or their family in danger," said Mark McGillivray, Allstate's senior vice president of Claims. "While we see some progress since surveying consumers a couple of years ago, the latest survey results demonstrate there is still work to do to remind people that Mother Nature can strike at any time, any place. It is important for individuals and families to be ready, just in case the unthinkable happens."Preparation is a family's best defense. There are a few simple steps to take to get ready and be ready before the serious weather starts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV