ASU will be celebrating its 25th anniversary this year. It has survived as even corporate bigwigs such as AT&T (T), JPMorgan Chase (JPM) and Microsoft (MSFT) use call centers operated by third parties in developing countries to save on costs.
During the past five years, the company has added more than 220 Americans to its payrolls, increasing its staff by an average of 10% per year.
"The business process outsourcing business, if done right, can sustain during both good and bad times," ASU CEO and founder Gregg Snyder said. "During bad times, businesses need to outsource to third parties as they're eliminating in-house staff. During good times, clients want to make sure their callers can get a live person on board."ASU has grown from a local business to a national one, whose clients include KMart, a unit of Sears Holding Co. (SHLD), and Gatorade, which is owned by PepsiCo (PEP).
Competition from overseas is tough. The Philippines and India each hire roughly 400,000 call-center agents who earn monthly wages of $250-$300, compared with about 140,000 U.S. agents who get a monthly paycheck of $3,000 on average. Most ASU clients are organizations that have approached the company after failed attempts at locating offshore agents -- a development that is becoming commonplace with poor reviews on the customer service of larger companies such as AT&T, which launched a new call center in the Philippines a few years ago. Meanwhile, other domestic companies such as Arise Virtual Solutions in Miramar, Fla., and Avoxi in Atlanta are contracting hourly workers who staff customer-service phones at home while they are managed on someone else's payroll -- an evolving practice called "phonesourcing," which saves on the time and costs that in-house training demands.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV