Ballard Fuel Cell Powered Buses Delivered To SunLine Transit Agency In Palm Springs, CA
VANCOUVER, June 9, 2014 /PRNewswire/ - Ballard Power Systems (NASDAQ: BLDP)(TSX: BLD) congratulates SunLine Transit Agency of Thousand Palms, CA as well as BAE Systems and ElDorado National on the unveiling and delivery of two new fuel cell buses, each powered by a Ballard FCvelocity®-HD6 fuel cell module. This new deployment underscores SunLine Transit Agency's longstanding tradition as a leader in the deployment of clean transportation technologies in the United States.
These new buses evolve the previously deployed American Fuel Cell Bus (AFCB) configuration, which was first introduced with SunLine Transit Agency in 2011. The AFCB configuration utilizes Ballard's FC velocity ®-HD6 fuel cell module to provide primary power, in combination with BAE Systems' HybriDrive® propulsion and power management systems deployed in an ElDorado National 40-foot (12-meter) Axess model, heavy duty transit bus.
"SunLine Transit is a leader in the use of zero-emission transit technology, and we're pleased to grow our relationship with this unique, innovative transit agency," said Steve Karaffa, Ballard Power Systems Chief Commercial Officer.
A June 2013 report prepared by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) and Battelle Memorial Institute and published by the Federal Transit Administration compared performance of the initial American Fuel Cell Bus (AFCB) deployed with SunLine Transit Agency to a number of CNG buses. Findings included -
- The AFCB achieved an exceptional availability of 85%. Furthermore, downtime was most often caused by general bus system issues of a "low tech" nature, unrelated to advanced technologies.
- The AFCB averaged 6.54 miles per kilogram of hydrogen during operation. This equates to 7.39 miles per diesel gallon equivalent (DGE), which is 2.4 times greater fuel economy than that of the baseline CNG buses.
- Maintenance cost per mile for the AFCB was 26% lower than for CNG buses. Furthermore, maintenance cost per mile for the propulsion system alone was 50% lower than for the baseline CNG buses.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV