MINNEAPOLIS, June 9, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- American Medical Systems Inc. (AMS), an Endo International plc (Nasdaq: ENDP) (TSX: ENL) subsidiary and leading provider of medical technologies for pelvic health, today announced that the first patient has been enrolled in Embrace™, AMS's 522 post market surveillance study for the Elevate™ Anterior and Apical Prolapse Repair System. The FDA has required post market surveillance studies be conducted by all manufacturers for transvaginal mesh products currently on the market, to determine the risks compared to the benefits of this approach to treating prolapse.
Dr. Eric Sokol, Co-Chief, Urogynecology and Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery at Stanford University School of Medicine, is the principal investigator for the Embrace study. The study is designed as a large multi-center cohort-controlled study that compares Elevate Anterior and Apical Prolapse Repair System with a native tissue repair control group. "Pelvic organ prolapse is often complex. Multiple treatment options are needed to address the exact nature and complexity of the prolapse and there are particular circumstances when the placement of transvaginal mesh may be beneficial and appropriate. The Embrace study will provide valuable information to clinicians and patients about the role of mesh for the treatment of female pelvic organ prolapse," said Dr. Sokol.
The first patient enrolled in the study was by Dr. Michael Ingber from the Center for Specialized Women's Health, Division of Garden State Urology in New Jersey. The first patient procedure completed in the study was performed by Dr. Richard Bercik of Yale Gynecological Oncology in New Haven, Conn.
The Embrace Study is one of the largest clinical trials ever performed by American Medical Systems, and the largest to date involving the Elevate Anterior and Apical Prolapse Repair System.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV