Update (4:10 p.m.): Updated with Monday market close information.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Achillion Pharmaceuticals (ACHN) surged Monday amid news that Merck (MRK) would purchase biotechnology company Idenix Pharmaceuticals (IDIX) for $3.85 billion as it tries to strengthen its position in the increasingly competitive hepatitis C sector.
Achillion could be the next acquisition target for larger companies. CNBC reported Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) and Abbvie (ABBV) were both interested in buying Idenix but Merck secured the purchase. Those companies, among others, could now turn their focus to Achillion, which has a pipeline of hepatitis C drugs.
Merck will pay $24.50 a share in cash for Idenix, more than triple the company's closing price of $7.23 on Friday.Must Read: Achillion Pharma Might be Next Hep C Takeout Target STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. "Idenix has established a promising portfolio of hepatitis C candidates,'' said Dr. Roger Perlmutter, the president of Merck Research Laboratories, in a statement Monday. Achillion stock closed up 47.57%, or $1.37, to $4.25. More than 46.9 million shares changed hands, which eclipsed the average volume of 1,420,150. For more on the Achillion story, read TheStreet's Adam Feuerstein's article here. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV