Update (4:07 p.m.): Updated with Monday market close information.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Idenix Pharmaceuticals (IDIX) shares exploded to a new 52-week high of $24.21 on Monday amid news that Merck (MRK) would purchase the biotechnology company for $3.85 billion as it tries to strengthen its position in the increasingly competitive hepatitis C sector.
Merck will pay $24.50 a share in cash for Idenix, more than triple the company's closing price of $7.23 on Friday.
"Idenix has established a promising portfolio of hepatitis C candidates,'' said Dr. Roger Perlmutter, the president of Merck Research Laboratories, in a statement Monday.Must Read: Merck Buys Idenix for $3.9B in Yet Another Blockbuster Hep C Deal STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Idenix closed up 229.05%, or $16.56, to $23.79. More than 40.8 million shares changed hands, which eclipsed the average volume of 1.235 million. For more on this story, read TheStreet's Adam Feuerstein's article here. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV