NEW YORK (
TheStreet) -- A new study measuring television viewing habits concludes that nearly half of all U.S. households are now watching a television set connected to the Internet and nearly half of all households now subscribe to
(NFLX - Get Report),
(AMZN - Get Report) Prime or some combination of the three.
According to the survey from Leichtman Research Group 49% of all U.S. households currently own at least one TV connected to the Internet via separate devices such as video game consoles, Blu-ray disc players, smart TVs and stand-alone devices like Roku, Apple (AAPL - Get Report) TV and Google's (GOOG) Chromecast.
Overall, the study found that 24% of all adults watch Internet-based video programming on a connected TV at least once a week compared to 13% admitting to watching in 2012 and only 5% in 2010.
The big content service winner in the study was Netflix. Of the 1,211 randomly selected households contacted for this year's Emerging Video Services survey 49% of Netflix subscribers are watching video from the Internet via a connected device weekly, compared to 8% weekly use among all non-Netflix subscribers. Seventy-eight percent of those Netflix streamers say that they're watching on a TV set rather than computer-based device.
Netflix stock was down 1.9% to $422 in afternoon trading in New York.
In addition, the survey found that
- Netflix subscribers have begun dropping cable and other television services. 80% of all Netflix subscribers also subscribe to a pay-TV service -- compared to 85% in 2012, and 88% in 2010
- 48% of all non-subscribers to a pay-TV service get Netflix -- compared to 29% in 2012, and 16% in 2010
- 15% of Netflix subscribers agree that their Netflix subscription is shared with others outside their household
- 47% of households get Netflix, Amazon Prime, and/or Hulu Plus
- On a daily basis, 31% of adults watch video on non-TV devices (including home computers, mobile phones, iPads, tablets, and eReaders) and 58% weekly -- up from 18% daily and 46% weekly two years ago
- Including connected TV sets, 34% watch any over-the-Web video daily and 61% weekly
- - Written by Gary Krakow in New York.
To submit a news tip, send an email to email@example.com.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts