NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Family Dollar Stores (FDO) are surging in pre-market trade, up 11.68% to $67.60, after it was disclosed that Carl Icahn (IEP) has taken a 9.4% stake for $265.8 million in the chain of general merchandise retail discount stores, and plans to push the retailer's management to explore strategic changes, according to a filing late Friday, the Wall Strete Journal reports.
Icahn might also seek board seats.
Icahn joins Nelson Peltz's Trian Fund Management LP, which has 8.4 million shares, or 7.4% of shares outstanding, and Paulson & Co., with almost 6.5 million shares, or a 5.7% stake, the Journal noted.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.50, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Even though the company has a strong debt-to-equity ratio, the quick ratio of 0.17 is very weak and demonstrates a lack of ability to pay short-term obligations.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 7.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 6.1%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Multiline Retail industry and the overall market, FAMILY DOLLAR STORES's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- FAMILY DOLLAR STORES's earnings per share declined by 33.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, FAMILY DOLLAR STORES increased its bottom line by earning $3.83 versus $3.58 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 17.8% in earnings ($3.15 versus $3.83).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: FDO Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts