NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Guess what? Chipotle's (CMG) stock has surged 13% in the past month, completely under the radar of those not named me. I think the stock's meaty gain is a byproduct of a continuation of very strong restaurant traffic around the clock following a pre-summer menu price increase. Mr. Market appears to be positioning for a blowout second quarter from Chipotle, and it's hard to dispute that notion.
However, I have found three mysterious things now underway at Chipotle, two of which have short- and long-term stock price implications and the other is just a great conversation piece.
As the Starbucks
(SBUX) cup art revolution explodes on Tumblr and Instagram (watch more on that amazingness here) due to efforts from creative patrons, Chipotle has joined the movement of sprucing up its packaging. In a program called "Cultivate Things," Chipotle paper bags and cups have positive quotes and short stories on them to entertain customers in and out of the restaurant. What perfect marketing. Chipotle surely has to know positive quotes from one its bags will be photographed and shared on social media, subliminally tempting those scrolling on an Apple
(AAPL) device headed home hungry from work.
Say hello to the life-changing new Chipotle bag and cup.
In some markets, Chipotle is currently running an aggressive buy-one-get-one-free burrito, burrito bowl, or salad promotion until July 15. Alongside this component is a promotion for free chips and guacamole with a purchase. Remember, all of this lures in new and previous customers just as the company has raised prices. Oh, you are so sly Chipotle!
Over a month left to snag this hot deal.
Didn't catch any new secret items on the menu. Sad face. Before I go, did you read up on Chipotle's annual "Cultivate Festival" held over the past weekend. Give it a Google search. I have the impression the company could be imagining some new products.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV