How You Can 'Turn Off' a Credit Card to Stop Fraud
NEW YORK (LowCards.com) -- Don't you wish you were able to turn off your credit cards when you don't need them so no one else could use them? Then back on when you were ready to make a purchase? With OnDot CardControl, that may not be such a far-fetched idea.
OnDot Systems is a startup in San Jose, Calif., that offers a remote control for your credit cards. The app allows you to use your phone or tablet to control which of your cards are active at any given time. It also allows you to set spending limits on the cards and restrict where they can be used.
If someone tries to use your card number outside of those limits, the purchase will be declined.
This app could be particularly helpful to parents since it enables them to restrict the money on their child's credit card and keep children from spending money frivolously. Parents can remove the restriction in the case of an emergency.People who have emergency credit cards can turn them off when not in use to protect against identity theft. People trying to live on a budget can limit their spending from one card to the next. "Our system applies to every card," said one of OnDot's co-founders, Vaduvur Bharghavan.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV