NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- RadioShack (RSH) plans to report financial results for its fiscal first quarter before the opening bell Tuesday. Saying that RadioShack has struggled over the past couple of years would be a gross understatement.
Shares closed Friday at $1.47, down 2.7%, and have plummeted 43% year to date.
Although RadioShack has established a rich history as an electronics retailer over the past five decades, the emergence of Amazon (AMZN) and auction sites such as eBay (EBAY) have eroded RadioShack's in-store traffic and pressured its margins.
And when you factor in the company's high inventory levels, declining cash reserves and upcoming debt maturities, you have to ask how much time does RadioShack have left before it has to file for bankruptcy.Management continues to make attempts to turn things around. Last week, RadioShack announced that it had formed a partnership with hardware manufacturer PCH International.
PCH International's PCH Access unit helps start-ups manufacture and bring their products to market.
The RadioShack partnership, called RadioShack Labs, will make these products available in designated spaces at RadioShack stores.
It remains to be seen how much of a difference this new partnership will make in an Amazon/online-dominated world, though. You can bet that analysts will ask plenty of questions about PCH International when RadioShack reports earnings Tuesday. They'll also be asking what else management plans to do to stop the current bleeding.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV