NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Last Wednesday, Amazon (AMZN) asked journalists, developers and its customers to request invitations for a news event scheduled for June 18. If reports are to be believed, Amazon will either announce its plans to enter the smartphone space or unveil an actual device.
Amazon stock closed Friday at $329.67, shooting up more than 7% since before the announcement. But the shares are still down 17% year to date.
It's a little surprising that so much attention is now given to a phone that has been rumored to be in production for almost two years. Observers desperately want another contender to Apple's (AAPL) iPhone dominance and Samsung's incredible volume within its Galaxy line.
All told, when you include Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows phone and BlackBerry's (BBRY) Z10 and new Z3 models, Amazon is entering a crowded jungle. But what the other devices don't have is a 3-D feature, which experts believe will set Amazon apart.The following YouTube clip demonstrates some of the phone's 3-D capabilities. Take a look and in the comments section, let me know what you think. The 3-D elements, if included, can possibly be a game changer. Rob Enderle, principal analyst at the Enderle Group, said the 3-D feature would make it easier to view icons and make the phone appear as if it has more screen space.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV