NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Some of the automotive-related stocks are catching a break on Friday. Goldman Sachs upgraded AutoNation (AN) to buy from neutral, while shares of CarMax (KMX) are up 14% on a top and bottom line earnings beat.
CarMax's earnings report was the "best quarter of the week," TheStreet's Jim Cramer, co-manager of the Action Alerts PLUS portfolio, said on CNBC's "Cramer's Mad Dash" segment.
People continue to buy cars, he added, saying that increased car sales is a sign that the economy is indeed improving. Workers needs cars to get to work, and a job to pay for that car, he said.
Turning to Owens Corning (OC), shares are lower by roughly 4%. The company missed on top and bottom line estimates, and says its roofing business could decline by as much as 20% in the first half of 2014.Cramer acknowledged that the harsh winter months hurt a lot of companies, but the poor weather should actually be good for the roofing business. He suggested that consumers are putting more money into cars and less money into housing -- with the exception of the upper class. He also questioned whether Home Depot (HD) would report a weaker-than-expected earnings result. The housing market is a "mixed picture," with some companies doing well, and others poorly. Cramer concluded that he still likes Masco (MAS). -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell Sneakers at Work Are Running Up Sales for Nike, Foot Locker Home Short-Sellers Could Face a Huge Hidden Tax Oracle Plunges: What Wall Street's Saying Biotech Stock Mailbag: Zafgen, Bluebird, MannKind
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV