The 10 Most Expensive Racehorses Ever Sold At Auction
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- UPDATED: To Include Results Of 2014 Belmont Stakes.
Owning a horse is an expensive undertaking. Whether you are a pleasure rider, an Olympian, or own race horses, purchasing one of these majestic animals might just be one of the most expensive decisions you'll ever make.
Recently, the horse racing world wondered if California Chrome, a horse purchased for less than $10,000, would win The Triple Crown and become the 12th horse in history to do so.
Fans were disappointed on June 7 when California Chrome finished the last leg of the Belmont Stakes tied for fourth, with the victory going to a horse named Tonalist.
Although he will not wear the crown, California Chrome can continue his racing career, and will likely make his owners a fortune in stud fees.
When buying a racehorse or a pleasure horse there are a number of factors to consider, including board fees, vet bills, training costs, lessons, and more, but the rewards of owning your own horse far outweigh the costs.
Pleasure riders will tell you that they enjoy nothing more than heading out onto the trails with their special buddy.
Professional riders will tell you there is nothing more exciting than climbing on the back of a horse and taking off at full speed in an attempt to win an Olympic medal or a stakes race.
While all horses are expensive, some of the most expensive are race horses. These creatures are bred to meet strict specifications and also carry great bloodlines, all adding to their value.The following is- based on data from 2013- a list of the most expensive race horses ever sold...
10. Mr. Sekiguchi Sold in 2004 for $8 million to Fusao Sekuguchi, a Japanese businessman and chairman of the Board at Venture Safe Net Inc.
This thoroughbred was sired by Storm Cat and its dam was Welcome Surprise
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV