There is too much happening in social media for today's energy startups not to pay attention to their external communications presence, including crisis management pre/post natural disasters. So while energy startups are focusing on their technology, now they must have people in place to establish and maintain a communications presence in local communities and on platforms such as Twitter (TWTR), Facebook (FB) and Tumblr, now part of Yahoo! (YHOO).
This new socially connected energy world will require more money to reach more consumers and that will affect much needed CAPEX for many startups. It will also likely keep investors interested in OPOWER, a company whose early success may have helped influence Apple (AAPL) to enter home energy management, a point also validated by Google's (GOOG) acquisition of Nest for $3.2 billion.
Finally, today's energy startups also face opposition from those investors against investing in fossil fuels. With that said, I believe the real energy investment alpha for investors will come from Big Tech, not Big Oil. This suggests they will be new fascinating possibilities within energy that were not even considered five years ago.
That means how we value energy startups is about to get disrupted as much as the technology that will literally power us in the future. Stay tuned!>>Read More:
Green Appeal of Nuclear Means Hope for Burned Uranium Shares
5 S&P Companies Warning of Global Warming Risk
Why New Studies May Mean 'Game Over' for Climate Deniers John Licata does not own shares in any companies mentioned above. You can follow John on Twitter at bluephoenixinc.
This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV