Triple Crown Winners: The 11 Best Race Horses of All Time
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- UPDATED: To include information on California Chrome.
On Saturday, June 7 horse racing fans could not disguise their disappointment when California Chrome failed to win the race and The Triple Crown, finishing tied for fourth, thus becoming the latest in a line of 36 horses to lose a bid at the Triple Crown.
Now, California Chrome is taking some time off as his trainers and staff work to help the colt recover from an injury to the hoof he suffered during the Belmont.
The injury is superficial and will take about three weeks to heal, according to trainer Art Sherman.
California Chrome has earned $3.5 million so far this year.
The Triple Crown is made up of three races: the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness Stakes, and the Belmont Stakes.
It is the most coveted title in racing. By winning the Triple Crown, a horse has proven it has the right mix of speed and stamina to be first in three grueling races spread across five weeks.
Many horses have come close to the crown, winning the Kentucky Derby and then the Preakness Stakes but falling short at the Belmont Stakes.
It has been 36 years since we last saw a Triple Crown winner: Affirmed in 1978.
Sir Barton In 1919 Sir Barton became the first horse to win the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness Stakes and the Belmont Stakes before the term "Triple Crown" was coined. Sir Barton is described as a "cranky colt who disliked all humans" by belmontstakes.com. The 1919 Kentucky Derby was Sir Barton's first start as a 3-year-old, and his original purpose in the race was to exhaust the favorite, Eternal, and give his stable-mate Billy Kelly a shot at the win. Following a victory at the Preakness, Barton would go on to win the Belmont in record time facing only two other horses.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV