Every stockholder who owned Apple stock by June 2 is entitled to receive six additional shares for every share they hold. The additional shares will appear in brokerage accounts tomorrow.
The 7-to-1 split is intended to make Apple more appealing to investors. Would-be Apple shareholders who either couldn't afford to buy a share near $650, or didn't like the feeling of owning so few shares in a company, will now be able to buy shares at around $92."We want Apple stock to be more accessible to a larger number of investors," the company explained in a press release. Apple shares edged higher ahead of the split. Some investors bet that money would roll into Apple from other names now that investors can afford to buy more shares.
$AAPL not a bad idea to get long before the split, more money will flow in after split get in early ? WindyCityTrader (@WindyCityTrader) Jun. 6 at 09:29 AM
What a well timed split, now $AAPL Will be at 100 and it's 'new competitor' $AMZN will be at 300, which will retail want to buy? ;) ? Bryan (@futurehorizon) Jun. 6 at 09:26 AM
$AAPL 90 Minutes to go before 7:1 split. At 651 that's 93. Get in now for the run to 100. ? Shawn (@websShawn) Jun. 6 at 02:29 PMAt the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV