Meanwhile, Hain Celestial caters to the all-natural organic food niche market. It has its own gluten-free product page on its Web site, which features milk, soups, baking mixes, ice cream and pasta items.
Boulder Brands has its own Glutino product line, a pioneer in the gluten-free category. It also acquired Udi's Gluten Free Foods, which also produces pastries and pasta. Both Hain Celestial Group and Boulder Brands showed promising growth in the stock market over the last couple of years thanks, in part, to the shift in consumer demand for healthy food.
Even restaurants are riding the gluten-free diet trend with another survey claiming that 52% of restaurant chains will be adding gluten-free dishes to their menus this year. Restaurant supply-chain co-op SpenDifference said its latest menu price survey reflect the growing demand for low-calorie and gluten-free menu items.
Of the restaurants surveyed, 55% said they already have gluten-free menu items. With niche brands and restaurants among the gluten-free pioneers, bigger companies are expected to follow suit and work to gain more market share and a healthier stock price.At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff. >>Read more: As Apple Stock Gets Sliced, It's Not Time for Investors to Split
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV