But a majority of investors on StockTwits.com say it's just a matter of time before Netflix sells off -- fast.
Sentiment on the stock is 57% bearish, according to StockTwits analytics. The reason is that Netflix's multiples just don't make sense to fundamental traders. The company has a near-$26 billion market cap and trades at nearly 63 times forward 2015 earnings. That's an unheard-of price-to-earnings ratio for a media company. Disney (DIS) trades at 18 times 2015 earnings, for comparison.
$NFLX Adding to short list here. Fundamentals don't support the valuation, highly unlikely to have long term gains from here. ? Sean (@LSValue) Jun. 6 at 09:48 AMNetflix gained recent positive momentum from two announcements: price increases and European expansion. The company raised its price for streaming content from $7.99 to $8.99 a month. It also announced plans to expand beyond Northern Europe into other broadband-heavy European countries including Germany, Austria, France, Belgium and Luxembourg. And some bullish investors believe that Netflix's European prospects give the company plenty of upside.
$NFLX buy every dip!!! ? DJS (@Dsteigerct1) Jun. 6 at 09:27 AMBut most investors on StockTwits.com say Netflix can't sustain its valuation. Content costs and competition will ultimately eat into Netflix's profits, they argue, and the bulls driving the stock higher will realize that it can't grow into its valuation. Netflix spent $65.93 million to acquire DVD content in the last three months of 2013. That's up from $48.28 million from the same period a year ago. It spent another $14.9 million on its DVD library in the first three months of the year, though that was slightly less than the $21.2 million it spent during the same quarter in 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV