NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Since Broadcom's (BRCM) announced this week that it is exploring "strategic alternatives" for its struggling cellular wireless business, shares of the semiconductor giant have surged 18%.
The stock -- which was trading at $37.71 late Friday morning, up 10 cents -- is up 27% year to date, compared with a 3.4% rise for the Nasdaq Composite index.
During the last two years, Broadcom's wireless business has been losing market share to market leader Qualcomm (QCOM) and to newcomers such as Avago Technologies (AVGO).
The reason Broadcom has put its wireless business on the block at this time may have something to do with this week's Apple (AAPL) app developer conference, where Apple announced HomeKit, a system that will allow users to control home appliances such as thermostats and lights via an app.
The smart devices will require connectivity, which is where Broadcom comes in. Broadcom, which Apple listed during its conference keynote as a partner, may be able to capitalize by designing chips to integrate home devices/appliances to support HomeKit.Broadcom has already designed chips for Apple partners to build devices such as garage door openers; now it sees a new opportunity knocking on the doors of every smart home in the world. >>Read More: Krispy Kreme Is Alive, Kicking and Making Lots of Dough(nuts) >>Read More: Verifone Is Doing Everything Right and Paying Its Investors Well >>Read More: Apple Slowdown Not in the Cards This Year At the time of publication, the author was long Apple. Follow @Richard_WSPB
This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV