More than 600 local General Electric (NYSE:GE) employees are volunteering their time today to make a difference in the community during the 4 th Annual GE Community Day across the Detroit area.
This year, GE is partnering with the Merritt Street Clean Neighborhood project, a longstanding community outreach effort led by The Ideal Group and the Southwest Detroit Environmental Vision (SDEV), to provide volunteers to garden, paint, remove graffiti, make signage and clean alleys across Southwest Detroit’s neighborhoods.
"I applaud GE and all the volunteers for their generosity and caring spirit," said Frank Venegas, Chairman and CEO of The Ideal Group. “Their belief in our efforts is a testament to the outreach work needed throughout this community, as well as the pride and resilience of Southwest Detroit.”
This Southwest Detroit neighborhood model consists of a residential neighborhood east of Junction Street and north of Toledo and includes two community gardens: Scarcyny Park, a perennial garden and family park, and the Cadillac Urban Gardens, a volunteer-run vegetable garden.In addition to volunteering at the Merritt Street Clean Neighborhood project, GE volunteers will also:
- Clean-up the shoreline at the Belle Isle Conservancy;
- Package food at Forgotten Harvest and package expectant mother supplies at the 7 th annual Western Wayne Family Health Center’s community baby shower;
- Garden, lay mulch, paint and build playground equipment at First Step and Rawsonville Elementary School;
- Board abandoned homes, paint and clean-up the community near Focus Hope;
- Plant flowers, build vegetable boxes and build a retaining wall at The Children’s Center of Detroit;
- Clear brush, paint and perform light handy work at the Historic Fort Wayne; and
- Help run the annual golf outing fundraiser for our Developing Health partner the Community Health and Social Services Center (CHASS)
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts