Updated from 6:56 a.m. EDT
Here are 10 things you should know for Monday, June 9:
1. -- U.S. stock futures were lower on Monday but global stocks rose on stronger first-quarter growth in Japan.
Japan's Nikkei 225 index rose 0.3%.
2. -- The economic calendar in the U.S. on Monday is quiet.
3. -- U.S. stocks on Friday rose as the investor outlook was boosted by an above-average U.S. jobs report.
The S&P 500 gained 0.46% to close at 1,949.44 and the Dow Jones Industrial Average added 0.52% to 16,924.28. The Nasdaq rose 0.59% to 4,321.4.
4. -- Tyson Foods (TSN) outbid Pilgrim's Pride (PPC) to gain control of Hillshire Brands (HSH), the maker of Jimmy Dean sausages and Ball Park hot dogs, Bloomberg reported, citing two people with knowledge of the matter.
Hillshire shares closed Friday at $58.92 and were up 5.1% to $61.90 in premarket trading on Monday. 5. -- Netflix (NFLX) shareholders will vote Monday at the company's annual meeting on a proposal by two public pension funds to separate the roles of chairman and CEO, which are both held by Reed Hastings, the streaming media service's cofounder. It is one of several corporate governance items on the agenda, with others including a proposal to put all board members up for re-election every year, rather than every three years, according to The New York Times.
Netflix shares rose marginally in premarket trading to $430.99.
6. -- Apple's (AAPL) split-adjusted pricing will begin when trading starts on Monday. Considering a price of $645.57 at the closing bell on Friday, post-split shares will be valued at around $92 each, the first time AAPL has been available below $100 in almost seven years, according to appleinsider.com.
Apple announced a 7-for-1 split in April.
In premarket trading on Monday, the stock was down 0.02% to $92.21. 7. -- Credit Suisse (CS) is considering splitting off a piece of its fixed-income trading business into a separate company, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter. The Swiss bank in March registered a new subsidiary, Wake USA LLC, to trade U.S. Treasurys, bond futures and other products electronically, according to a regulatory filing, the Journal reported. 8. -- Activist investor Carl Icahn acquired a 9.4% stake in discount retailer Family Dollar (FDO). The billionaire is urging the company to explore ways to boost its value. Shares of Family Dollar, Matthews, N.C., rose nearly 10% to $66.40 in after-hours trading on Friday. In premarket trading, the stock rose 12% to $67.80. 9. -- Automotive service and car-parts company Pep Boys-Manny Moe & Jack (PBY) is forecast by analysts on Monday to report first-quarter earnings of 6 cents a share
10. -- The teenage romance "The Fault in Our Stars" easily bested the time-shifting Tom Cruise action film "Edge of Tomorrow" at the box office over the weekend With a $48.2 million domestic debut, "The Fault in Our Stars" thumped the $29.1 million opening for "Edge of Tomorrow," according to studio estimates Sunday. >> Read More:
Krispy Kreme Is Alive, Kicking and Making Lots of Dough(nuts) VeriFone Is Doing Everything Right and Paying Its Investors Well Finish Line Running to Runners as a New Super Loyal Customer Base -- Written by Joseph Woelfel To contact the writer of this article, click here:Joseph Woelfel To submit a news tip, send an email to:email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV