Search Jim Cramer's "Mad Money" trading recommendations using our exclusive "Mad Money" Stock Screener.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- People are paying way too much attention to Fed Chair Janet Yellen and too little to what's happening to the company themselves, Jim Cramer told his Mad Money viewers Thursday.
Cramer noted that while people are obsessing about the Fed and having another S&P 500 record, he's a throwback to "days when we looked at what individual companies are doing. But being old-fashioned doesn't make me wrong."
People obsessed with the Fed have kept you out of the market and missing opportunities, he said, and the Fed's bond buyback tapering is simply not having an impact on the market.
Look at Starbucks (SBUX), which was up 2.21% at Thursday's close, Cramer said. It's been marking time for the last eight months, in part because coffee prices were up 44% this year. The company has expanded its menu, added alcohol sales, cell phone chargers at tables and other improvements like helping its employees pay for college. When UBS upgraded its outlook on Starbucks today, the stock popped.He also pointed out Kroger (KR), which rallied more than 5% today. Why? Expectations were "super negative" among short-sellers. Today's spectacular numbers and dramatic raid of guidance sent Kroger to an all-time high. Cramer's bottom line? Let Starbucks and Kroger be a reminder that companies and their managements matter more than the policy of the Federal Reserve.
Executive Decision: Gary FriedmanIn his "Executive Decision" segment, Cramer looked at Restoration Hardware's (RH), which reported earnigns this week and said revenue rose 21.6% from the prior year. How does Restoration Hardware's in-store experience give it an edge in the sector? To answer that question, Cramer spoke to CEO Gary Friedman. Friedman says you need to think of the company's products in terms of design and quality rather than price.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV