Hess Corporation (NYSE:HES) today announced it has been ranked No. 1 among the greenest U.S. energy producers according to the just-released “2014 Newsweek (magazine) Green Rankings” of the largest 500 companies in the world ( http://www.newsweek.com/green/americas-greenest-companies-2014).
The rankings, now in their sixth year, evaluate the 500 largest publicly-traded companies as of December 31, 2013, by market capitalization in the United States (the U.S. 500) and the 500 largest publicly-traded companies globally (the Global 500) on corporate sustainability and environmental impact.
“We are committed to being responsible stewards in the communities where we work all over the world,” said Hess CEO John Hess. “Sustainable business practices are essential to ensuring our license to operate, managing risks, operating efficiently and developing growth opportunities. This recognition is a source of pride for all our employees and contractors who work tirelessly to uphold the Hess Values,” he said.
The magazine’s “Green Rankings” are based on eight performance indicators, including:
- Combined Energy Productivity Score (revenue/total energy consumption)
- Combined Greenhouse Gas Productivity (revenue/total Greenhouse Gas emissions)
- Combined Water Productivity (revenue/total water use)
- Combined Waste Productivity (revenue/total waste generated, minus total waste recycled)
- Sustainability Pay Link (a relationship between the pay of the senior executive team and the company’s achievement of environmental performance targets)
- Sustainability Board Committee (the existence of a committee at the Board of Directors level whose mandate is related to the sustainability of the company)
- Audited Environmental Metrics
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts