3 Consumer Durables Stocks Pushing The Industry Higher
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.All three major indices traded up today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI) trading up 100 points (0.6%) at 16,838 as of Thursday, June 5, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 2,349 issues advancing vs. 623 declining with 153 unchanged.The Consumer Durables industry as a whole closed the day up 1.1% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.6%. Top gainers within the Consumer Durables industry included Entertainment Gaming Asia (EGT), up 3.0%, Marine Products (MPX), up 1.6%, Elecsys (ESYS), up 4.5%, Bassett Furniture Industries (BSET), up 4.3% and Hooker Furniture (HOFT), up 12.3%.TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today:Bassett Furniture Industries (BSET) is one of the companies that pushed the Consumer Durables industry higher today. Bassett Furniture Industries was up $0.56 (4.3%) to $13.59 on average volume. Throughout the day, 28,399 shares of Bassett Furniture Industries exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 37,100 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $13.00-$13.75 after having opened the day at $13.00 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $13.03. Bassett Furniture Industries, Incorporated manufactures, imports, and retails home furnishings in the United States. The company operates in three segments: Wholesale, Retail, and Investments and Real Estate. Bassett Furniture Industries has a market cap of $141.7 million and is part of the consumer goods sector. Shares are down 14.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. Currently there are no analysts who rate Bassett Furniture Industries a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreet Ratings rates Bassett Furniture Industries as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, good cash flow from operations and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself.Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on BSET go as follows:
- BSET's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.02 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.06, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 171.23% to $5.34 million when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 151.32%.
- The gross profit margin for BASSETT FURNITURE INDS is rather high; currently it is at 55.45%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 1.11% trails the industry average.
- BASSETT FURNITURE INDS's earnings per share declined by 11.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past year. However, we anticipate this trend reversing over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BASSETT FURNITURE INDS reported lower earnings of $0.47 versus $2.42 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.53 versus $0.47).
- BSET, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 17.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 5.3%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV