When LPL Financial envisioned a new zero net energy office, architects had a vision for a 13-floor tower in San Diego, and designers had a desire for an efficient lighting system that felt comfortable to occupants and could easily accommodate a growing business.
The LPL Financial tower in San Diego uses many energy-efficient technologies including fuel cells, under-floor air-distribution and LED lighting. (Photo: General Electric)
After investments in fuel cells and an under-floor air-distribution system, LPL also needed an energy-conscious lighting strategy to help achieve its net zero goal.
By analyzing architectural drawings, GE’s experts conceived a new lighting scheme that converted fluorescent fixtures to LED. Lumination™ BL Series LED Luminaires were chosen for aisles and common areas―the narrow bands of light lend a contemporary look to LPL’s new office.
When it came to lighting controls, GE again simplified and streamlined what could have been a complicated process.“We were actually looking at a fairly complex system that added a lot of cost to the project,” said Otto Orr, V.P. of project management, corporate real estate, LPL Financial. “That’s when GE demonstrated a much simpler solution that met our needs.” With GE’s LightSweep™ lighting control system LPL now enjoys dimming and daylight harvesting capabilities on every floor. LPL will save an estimated $38,000 annually in lighting energy costs with LED opposed to fluorescent. Each floor of its new tower is metered to measure HVAC, plug, and lighting electrical loads separately, with data displayed on a monitor in the main lobby to help make employees more informed about energy savings. “We believe we are the country’s largest net-zero commercial office building,” Orr said. “The passion was there, and now our group, including GE, drives it forward.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV