NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Every four years, soccer fans get their version of the NFL playoffs and Super Bowl, with the FIFA World Cup, soccers biggest tournament. The international tournament is hosted by Brazil this year and starts on Thursday, June 12. Thirty-two teams will try to make it through the month-long event.
Sport-centric brands like Nike (NKE) adidas and Puma have come up with loads of gear to get fans motivated, and with the World Cup just days away from kicking off, fans are stocking up. Sales of merchandise with U.S.A. soccer fan favorite, Clint Dempsey, has spiked over 300% over the past week to make him the top-selling soccer player on Fanatics.com, an online retailer of officially licensed team merchandise that is selling merchandise selection from all 32 teams in the World Cup, the site says. Other popular player merchandise includes Brazil's Neymar, U.S.A's Michael Bradley, Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo and Argentina's Lionel Messi, yet customers from more than 30 countries have made World Cup gear purchases on its Web site over the past week, Fanatics.com adds.
Over the past week, the top five teams with the best-selling merchandise are: USA, Brazil, Italy, Portugal and England.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV