NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- UniPixel (UNXL - Get Report) stock is soaring over 30% on heavier-than-normal volume. Earlier in the day, the company announced a June 25 conference call to discuss progress towards "achieving a reliable high-volume, roll-to-roll production process for its projected capacitive, multi-touch sensor films."
By midafternoon, shares had surged 34.7% to $7.69. Trading volume of 4.2 million shares was nearly 18 times its three-month daily average.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates UNI-PIXEL INC as a Sell with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate UNI-PIXEL INC (UNXL) a SELL. This is driven by a number of negative factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins and weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- UNI-PIXEL INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, UNI-PIXEL INC reported poor results of -$1.27 versus -$1.13 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 63.8% in earnings (-$2.08 versus -$1.27).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 753.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $0.95 million to -$6.19 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry and the overall market, UNI-PIXEL INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for UNI-PIXEL INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 0.00%. It has decreased significantly from the same period last year.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$4.42 million or 275.23% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: UNXL Ratings Report